Child Abuse in Wake County

Thousands of cases of child abuse are reported every year in Wake County.

If you suspect that a child in Wake County is being abused or neglected, or if you think a child may have died from being mistreated, you must report what you know to Wake County Human Services. (N.C.G.S. §7B-301) Do not be afraid to report. As long as you are acting in good faith, you cannot be held liable (N.C.G.S. §7B-309). Call the Child Protection Report Line at 919.212.7990 (English) or 919.212.7963 (Spanish). If you live in another county and are concerned that a child is being abused or neglected, contact your county’s department of social services.

Effective December 1, 2019, any person who is at least 18 years old who knows or should have reasonably known that a juvenile has been or is the victim of a violent offense, sexual offense or misdemeanor child abuse under N.C.G.S. §14-318.2 must immediately report the case of that juvenile to the appropriate law enforcement agency in the county where the juvenile lives or is found. (N.C.G.S. §14-318.6) The report may be made orally or by telephone. Failure to report the offense as directed above is a Class 1 misdemeanor. If the person reports the offense in good faith, cooperates with law enforcement in an investigation, or testifies in any judicial proceeding pursuant to a report or investigation, he or she is immune from any civil or criminal liability.

Safe Surrender Law

North Carolina’s Safe Surrender Law allows a parent to surrender a newborn up to seven days old to a responsible adult without the parent providing his or her name. These adults include a health care provider, law enforcement officer, social service worker or emergency medical personnel. The baby must be handed over to a person, not left on a doorstep. The law’s purpose is to prevent newborns from being hurt or abandoned.

Questions? Call us at 919.743.6140 or email